Wednesday, April 21, 2010



I talked to my mom some about My Ishmael. She thought some of the ideas about food foragers being thought of as leavers and our culture being thought of as takers was interesting, right now she is taking some anthropology classes, and is learning about hunter gathering societies too. She agreed that out population is so big that we could never support food foraging tribes here. She does think that people need to think more about having food and resources closer to where they live, and has concerns about sustainability. I asked her is she thought her education was a waste, and she said that it took her a long time to enjoy learning, and it was after high school. She agrees that it depends on what you want to do. She also mentioned that getting to go to school at all is a real privilege for the people in our country because for a lot of cultures, an education is a huge sacrifice and luxury for the family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I find it interesting that your mom was able to relate My Ishmael and its concepts to her own anthropology studies without trouble. It really shows the application this book has to the real world.
I also like how you guys not only talked about whether or not you guys agreed or disagreed with the book, but you also discussed exactly which concepts would and wouldn't be possible.
When you asked her about education, I agreed with her that maybe it's not that enjoyable in high school, but afterward it is, and that is because you get the opportunities to learn what you want to learn in life.

April 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

 
Blogger Hannah said...

I agree. I like that your mom is taking anthropology classes and is actually DOING something. Too many people just sit and mope. But its also interesting that she said that it wouldn't work in our culture to be hunter gatherers. I liked how you talked about specific topics in the book instead of just the questions.

April 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home