Saturday, April 24, 2010

Farmers Market






The last time I came to this farmers market at Scripps Ranch, it was MUCH bigger. My mom goes pretty often because it is close to us. It used to take up a big part of the school, and now it's just in a few lanes in the parking lot. I don't know how much fruits and stuff usually cost, but the raspberry's were expensive and the avocados were cheap, my mom said.

Personally, I like to sleep in on Saturdays, so I don't think I'll go to this one too much. My mom likes the winery farmers market in Rancho Bernardo because they have more selection.

I think the problem is they aren't as convenient as stores. Our market is only open one day from 9-1. People usually have sports and stuff to go to. Also, there isn't as much stuff as a store. You cant get all the other stuff you need, so it is a special trip. They do try to make it fun with balloons and waffles, and it is a nice place to go to because it is outside and it has a community feel to it. The marketers are always willing to take the time to chat with you

Today I went along with my mom to the Scripps Ranch Farmers Market. When we were there, we saw our neighbor, Dora, buying flowers and she said I could interview her.

Me: What are you doing here today?
Dora: Well, sometimes I have a stall here, and I sell my jewelery. Today I am here buying flowers. Some for gifts and some for myself.
Me:Why do you shop here?
Dora: I know some of the other merchants, and we kind of support each other. Also, the produce tastes better.
Me: When did you first shop here?
Dora: Years ago. I don't remember when it first opened but I started renting a stall about 3 years ago, but I don't come every week.
Me: Do you garden at home?
D: Yes, Mostly I like to plant flowers, but my daughter likes to plant vegetables. We don't get a lot, but it's fun.
Me:How could you get others to shop here?
D: I don't know, it was much more popular before, now there are fewer vendors. Just spread the word I guess.
Me: Thank you for your time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vincent Supertramp said...

It really made me think when you mentioned that it isn't as convenient as stores. It would be nice if farmer's markets were more available, but that might possibly hinder the integrity and purity of the system, and it'd just turn into another business.
I enjoy how your family is actually goes to a farmer's market, i don't know many people in our class that support one.
It really worried me when you said that the farmer's market was much bigger than before, making me think that good to heart farmers are going away

May 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

 
Blogger jared 71 said...

I liked how you said that it looked like a store. It made me have clear vision of the farmers market.

What struck me was that she wasn't selling food, but she was selling flowers instead.

I liked how you made a little paragraph of when you and Dora talked.

May 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

 
Blogger leo said...

i agree with you when you said that they are not as convenient as supermarkets. i think that is one of the main reasons that people don't go to them. great post.

May 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM

 
Blogger coco.rawr said...

I like how you interviewed someone you knew personally, because it makes the interview seem so much more natural. I like how she said all the vendors there support each other because i never really thought they would do things like that. Now that you mention it, it does seem like something they would do.

May 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

 
Blogger Travis Van Vechten said...

I agree with you when you said that they aren't as convenient because they are only open two days. The only way to get advertising is to spread the word. Why do you think its smaller now?

May 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home